leah

Leah's Bookshelf

Likes: Horror, macabre, fairy tales, ghosts, hauntings, serial killers, zombies, werewolves, shapeshifters, vampires, time travel, orphans, clones, thrillers, classics, gothic

I like to read anything that tells a good story, duh ;) Genre doesn't really matter much but I tend to read dark fiction and fantasy the most. I skip chick lit and romance novels with a few exceptions for the extraordinary.

My ratings system:

5 stars - ADORED; plan to read over and over and over.

4 stars - ENJOYED; will likely read once or twice more.

3 stars - LIKED; may or may not read again ... someday.

2 stars - MEH; no plans to read again.

1 stars - I didn't enjoy the story and was lucky to finish.

0 stars - I couldn't or wouldn't finish for reasons that may or may not be listed in the review box.

The Oxford Book of American Short Stories
Edgar Allan Poe, Henry James, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Herman Melville, Mark Twain, Edith Wharton, Ray Bradbury, Charlotte Gilman Perkins, Willa Carter, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Stephen Crane, Washington Irving, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Katherine Anne Porter, Eudora Welty, Nath
Progress: 225/768 pages

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz #1) by L. Frank Baum

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz  - L. Frank Baum, W.W. Denslow

Rating: 3 of 5

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz just couldn't outshine its film adaptation.

I think for the first time in my life - I'd have to really think on it to know for sure - I actually enjoyed a book less than its cinematic counterpart.

Shocking, right?!

It's not that the story was boring or the writing sub-par; nope, all the elments of a fabulous children's book are present (it is a "classic" for a reason). It's just, all my life, starting at about five years old, I looked forward to watching the movie on TV every year. (I can still remember how I felt the first time Dorothy walked through the door from black and white to color!)

So I'm sure it's the emotional connection to those memories affecting my response and not the book's fault.

Having said all that, I'm fairly certain for kids around 5-10 years old, who haven't yet seen the movie, this book would be entertaining and endearing.

Onward to Oz #2...