leah

Leah's Bookshelf

Likes: Horror, macabre, fairy tales, ghosts, hauntings, serial killers, zombies, werewolves, shapeshifters, vampires, time travel, orphans, clones, thrillers, classics, gothic

I like to read anything that tells a good story, duh ;) Genre doesn't really matter much but I tend to read dark fiction and fantasy the most. I skip chick lit and romance novels with a few exceptions for the extraordinary.

My ratings system:

5 stars - ADORED; plan to read over and over and over.

4 stars - ENJOYED; will likely read once or twice more.

3 stars - LIKED; may or may not read again ... someday.

2 stars - MEH; no plans to read again.

1 stars - I didn't enjoy the story and was lucky to finish.

0 stars - I couldn't or wouldn't finish for reasons that may or may not be listed in the review box.

The Oxford Book of American Short Stories
Edgar Allan Poe, Henry James, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Herman Melville, Mark Twain, Edith Wharton, Ray Bradbury, Charlotte Gilman Perkins, Willa Carter, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Stephen Crane, Washington Irving, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Katherine Anne Porter, Eudora Welty, Nath
Progress: 225/768 pages

Deadly Desire (Riley Jenson Guardian #7) by Keri Arthur

Deadly Desire - Keri Arthur

Rating: 2.5 of 5

My enjoyment of Deadly Desire was definitely hindered by two things: one, I hadn't read any of the previous six books in the Riley Jenson Guardian series; and two, I'm not what you'd call a fan of "paranormal romance."

I bought this book on impulse years ago, not realizing it was the seventh in a series, thinking I might find a story and characters I liked as much as those in Laurell K. Hamilton's books. (Entertainment being the number one reason anyone would read these types of books.) Well, either my tolerance for "romance" is way lower than I first thought or Deadly Desire wasn't very good.

The biggest obstacle was I just didn't like Riley and, since this was the seventh book, there wasn't much in the way of character development. So it was really hard for me to connect with who she was, how I could relate to her, and why she did what she did. Also, there were several brief references to events from the past so I felt I was missing vital history.

Probably, for existing Riley Jenson readers, Deadly Desire would meet all their needs. Unfortunately, for anyone new to the series, it would probably be wiser to start at the beginning, and you most certainly should already love the "paranormal romance" genre.