leah

Leah's Bookshelf

Likes: Horror, macabre, fairy tales, ghosts, hauntings, serial killers, zombies, werewolves, shapeshifters, vampires, time travel, orphans, clones, thrillers, classics, gothic

I like to read anything that tells a good story, duh ;) Genre doesn't really matter much but I tend to read dark fiction and fantasy the most. I skip chick lit and romance novels with a few exceptions for the extraordinary.

My ratings system:

5 stars - ADORED; plan to read over and over and over.

4 stars - ENJOYED; will likely read once or twice more.

3 stars - LIKED; may or may not read again ... someday.

2 stars - MEH; no plans to read again.

1 stars - I didn't enjoy the story and was lucky to finish.

0 stars - I couldn't or wouldn't finish for reasons that may or may not be listed in the review box.

The Oxford Book of American Short Stories
Edgar Allan Poe, Henry James, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Herman Melville, Mark Twain, Edith Wharton, Ray Bradbury, Charlotte Gilman Perkins, Willa Carter, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Stephen Crane, Washington Irving, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Katherine Anne Porter, Eudora Welty, Nath
Progress: 225/768 pages

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

Quiet. The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking - Susan  Cain

Rating: 4.5 of 5

You know what really burns my biscuits? I had a long, insightful handwritten review all ready to post. Then, two weeks ago, I returned Quiet to the library. And where do you think I'd stuck that review for safekeeping? Uh huh. In the dang front flap of the book. Ugh. So now the review's gone, along with all the notes I'd taken whilst reading. Live and learn, I s'pose: don't forget you filed your review in a borrowed book.

Onward to what I remember lovin' about Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking:

* An interesting examination of how our culture has adopted the "Extrovert Ideal."

* I never felt the author was saying, "Introverts are better; therefore, everyone should be an introvert." Instead, throughout the book, there were repeated messages of BALANCE. I really dug that vibe because the world really does need both.

* Tons of research. You could tell the author did her homework and not just for a year or two, but several years of focused research. Plus, there were 45+ pages of source notes.

* The content was structured in an accessible way. Research findings would be introduced and then a real world example would follow which illustrated the thesis of that research.

* Empowerment for introverts! My whole life I'd heard all the comments probably most every introvert has heard: "You think too much;" "You analyze too much;" "Why does your face turn red when you talk to people;" "Why don't you go to more parties or have more friends;" "How can you stand to work at home, be alone, for so long;" and on and on. After reading Quiet, for the first time ever, I embraced those comments, appreciated them. They were just recognizing the person I always knew I was but thought wrong in some way, even though I loved those things about myself (well, except for the blushing).

My only teensy complaint would be I wish there had been more elaboration on raising introverted children and how to enhance/improve relations between introverts and extroverts, especially in personal relationships.

Quiet's definitely on my must-buy list.