leah

Leah's Bookshelf

Likes: Horror, macabre, fairy tales, ghosts, hauntings, serial killers, zombies, werewolves, shapeshifters, vampires, time travel, orphans, clones, thrillers, classics, gothic

I like to read anything that tells a good story, duh ;) Genre doesn't really matter much but I tend to read dark fiction and fantasy the most. I skip chick lit and romance novels with a few exceptions for the extraordinary.

My ratings system:

5 stars - ADORED; plan to read over and over and over.

4 stars - ENJOYED; will likely read once or twice more.

3 stars - LIKED; may or may not read again ... someday.

2 stars - MEH; no plans to read again.

1 stars - I didn't enjoy the story and was lucky to finish.

0 stars - I couldn't or wouldn't finish for reasons that may or may not be listed in the review box.

The Oxford Book of American Short Stories
Edgar Allan Poe, Henry James, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Herman Melville, Mark Twain, Edith Wharton, Ray Bradbury, Charlotte Gilman Perkins, Willa Carter, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Stephen Crane, Washington Irving, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Katherine Anne Porter, Eudora Welty, Nath
Progress: 225/768 pages

Advent by James Treadwell

Advent: A Novel - James Treadwell

Rating: 3 of 5

Ahhhh! Another book I didn't know was the first in a trilogy beforehand. It's not that I'm against trilogies (or series in general), but there are nuances involved that some writers don't have right out the gate. For instance, the first book should possess a complete story all its own and not depend on its sequels to deliver the story promised in book one. I'm not referring to a few unanswered questions or natural curiosities or a hunger for more of a story's world, either. When Advent concluded, I didn't feel like I knew much more than before I'd read all 451 pages. Could be there was too much going on for one book? Maybe the author didn't quite know where he wanted to take the story (or which babies to kill during revisions/edits)? Perhaps Advent was meant to serve mainly as an introduction?

Having said that, for the record, Treadwell writes beautifully. Imagery and atmosphere were spot on. But characters and plot didn't coax me forward, it was the language. Yet something was lost in all those lovely words because, more than halfway through, I really didn't care much about the characters; I just wanted to know the truth already(!) and it was turning into work to get there. Not the fun kind of work, either. It was of the tedious variety. Plus, there was a mad dash to wrap things up in the last five or six chapters and Gavin's transformation seemed to come out of nowhere. I dunno why, I just know I'm left unfulfilled and ever-so-slightly disappointed.

The premise of lost magic, people and creatures of legend and myth crossing into our time and reality, plus orphans should all add up to five stars from me. Unfortunately, in this case, it didn't. And I'm not quite sure who the target audience would be.