leah

Leah's Bookshelf

Likes: Horror, macabre, fairy tales, ghosts, hauntings, serial killers, zombies, werewolves, shapeshifters, vampires, time travel, orphans, clones, thrillers, classics, gothic

I like to read anything that tells a good story, duh ;) Genre doesn't really matter much but I tend to read dark fiction and fantasy the most. I skip chick lit and romance novels with a few exceptions for the extraordinary.

My ratings system:

5 stars - ADORED; plan to read over and over and over.

4 stars - ENJOYED; will likely read once or twice more.

3 stars - LIKED; may or may not read again ... someday.

2 stars - MEH; no plans to read again.

1 stars - I didn't enjoy the story and was lucky to finish.

0 stars - I couldn't or wouldn't finish for reasons that may or may not be listed in the review box.

The Oxford Book of American Short Stories
Edgar Allan Poe, Henry James, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Herman Melville, Mark Twain, Edith Wharton, Ray Bradbury, Charlotte Gilman Perkins, Willa Carter, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Stephen Crane, Washington Irving, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Katherine Anne Porter, Eudora Welty, Nath
Progress: 225/768 pages

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier

Rating: 4.5 of 5

What's the new wife's name? I don't think I missed it, so maybe part of the story's mystery. Well-written intro / set up, especially to Manderley (ominous), and I could see Mrs. Danvers instantly. Du Maurier wrote the "second Mrs. de Winter" quite passive thus far - like Jane Eyre without Jane's passion and conviction. Hopefully she'll grow as the story continues (and put that old Danvers in her place).

Now I understand why Rebecca is touted as "the unsurpassed masterpiece of romantic suspense." Du Maurier's work is officially on my must-read list. Her characters were so REAL - I haven't loathed anyone as much as Mrs. Danvers since Delores Umbridge, and before that Miss Havisham.

Review to come.