leah

Leah's Bookshelf

Likes: Horror, macabre, fairy tales, ghosts, hauntings, serial killers, zombies, werewolves, shapeshifters, vampires, time travel, orphans, clones, thrillers, classics, gothic

I like to read anything that tells a good story, duh ;) Genre doesn't really matter much but I tend to read dark fiction and fantasy the most. I skip chick lit and romance novels with a few exceptions for the extraordinary.

My ratings system:

5 stars - ADORED; plan to read over and over and over.

4 stars - ENJOYED; will likely read once or twice more.

3 stars - LIKED; may or may not read again ... someday.

2 stars - MEH; no plans to read again.

1 stars - I didn't enjoy the story and was lucky to finish.

0 stars - I couldn't or wouldn't finish for reasons that may or may not be listed in the review box.

The Oxford Book of American Short Stories
Edgar Allan Poe, Henry James, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Herman Melville, Mark Twain, Edith Wharton, Ray Bradbury, Charlotte Gilman Perkins, Willa Carter, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Stephen Crane, Washington Irving, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Katherine Anne Porter, Eudora Welty, Nath
Progress: 225/768 pages

Witch & Wizard (Witch & Wizard #1) by James Patterson

Witch & Wizard  - James Patterson, Gabrielle Charbonnet

Rating: 3 of 5

Recommended by my 13-year-old daughter.

I'm a fan of Patterson's Alex Cross books, so I figured, what the hay. I'd heard Witch & Wizard summed up as Harry Potter meets Hunger Games, which piqued my interest. Don't buy into that or expect the superb world-building or characterization done in either of the aforementioned books.

I can definitely see its appeal to the younger age bracket of the "young adult" audience. For anyone over 14 or 15 it may feel a bit, well, superficial. The story is set in a totalitarian world where anyone under 18 is considered an enemy to the New Order, especially young people with magical abilities. But the character development just wasn't there.

Each chapter begins with the names of the main characters, siblings Wisty and Whit, which I guess is because both have such similar voices the author wanted to quickly identify the chapter's narrator. There are prophecies and an evil leader who seems to possess the very powers he seeks to eliminate from the world's youth. And it ends with the threat of their imminent execution.

It was a quick read and I do plan to read the sequel (The Gift) ... mainly because my daughter asked me to. Hopefully, the characters and the world will grow a bit more in the next one.