leah

Leah's Bookshelf

Likes: Horror, macabre, fairy tales, ghosts, hauntings, serial killers, zombies, werewolves, shapeshifters, vampires, time travel, orphans, clones, thrillers, classics, gothic

I like to read anything that tells a good story, duh ;) Genre doesn't really matter much but I tend to read dark fiction and fantasy the most. I skip chick lit and romance novels with a few exceptions for the extraordinary.

My ratings system:

5 stars - ADORED; plan to read over and over and over.

4 stars - ENJOYED; will likely read once or twice more.

3 stars - LIKED; may or may not read again ... someday.

2 stars - MEH; no plans to read again.

1 stars - I didn't enjoy the story and was lucky to finish.

0 stars - I couldn't or wouldn't finish for reasons that may or may not be listed in the review box.

The Oxford Book of American Short Stories
Edgar Allan Poe, Henry James, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Herman Melville, Mark Twain, Edith Wharton, Ray Bradbury, Charlotte Gilman Perkins, Willa Carter, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Stephen Crane, Washington Irving, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Katherine Anne Porter, Eudora Welty, Nath
Progress: 225/768 pages

Black & Orange (Black & Orange #1) by Benjamin Kane Ethridge

Black and Orange - Benjamin Kane Ethridge, Zach McCain

Rating: 3.5 of 5

A fresh spooky tale perfect for reading in fall, when the leaves are turning and you can feel the approach of Halloween. Impressive for a debut novel in the horror genre. 2010 Winner of the Bram Stoker Award for First Novel.

Synopsis: Forget everything you know about Halloween. The stories are distortions. They were created to keep the Church of Midnight hidden from the world. Every October 31st a gateway opens to a hostile land of sacrificial magic and chaos. Since the beginning of civilization the Church of Midnight has attempted to open the gateway and unite with its other half, the Church of Morning. Each year they've come closer, waiting for the ideal sacrifice to open the gateway permanently.

Leah's Thoughts: It's been nearly eight months since I finished Black & Orange on August 17, 2012 yet much of its imagery remains fresh in my mind. Chaplain Cloth was uber creepy and his little pumpkin children even more so. The plot didn't feel tired or overdone; the pacing was steady, if maybe a little too fast for my tastes; the villains were better, more interesting, than the good guys though. There was plenty of action and a few times I was on the edge of my seat. I would definitely like to know more about the Church of Midnight and the Church of Morning, and for sure more about Chaplain Cloth.

Disclaimer: There was graphic violence and violent sex, which is probably to be expected in a "horror" novel, but better to take note than be surprised.