leah

Leah's Bookshelf

Likes: Horror, macabre, fairy tales, ghosts, hauntings, serial killers, zombies, werewolves, shapeshifters, vampires, time travel, orphans, clones, thrillers, classics, gothic

I like to read anything that tells a good story, duh ;) Genre doesn't really matter much but I tend to read dark fiction and fantasy the most. I skip chick lit and romance novels with a few exceptions for the extraordinary.

My ratings system:

5 stars - ADORED; plan to read over and over and over.

4 stars - ENJOYED; will likely read once or twice more.

3 stars - LIKED; may or may not read again ... someday.

2 stars - MEH; no plans to read again.

1 stars - I didn't enjoy the story and was lucky to finish.

0 stars - I couldn't or wouldn't finish for reasons that may or may not be listed in the review box.

The Oxford Book of American Short Stories
Edgar Allan Poe, Henry James, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Herman Melville, Mark Twain, Edith Wharton, Ray Bradbury, Charlotte Gilman Perkins, Willa Carter, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Stephen Crane, Washington Irving, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Katherine Anne Porter, Eudora Welty, Nath
Progress: 225/768 pages

Masters & Slayers (Tales of Starlight #1)

Masters & Slayers - Bryan Davis

This one is definitely aimed toward specific readers; unfortunately, I am not one of them. Just didn't stir my Kool-Aid. The quality of the storytelling was good - engaging with a smooth pace - but there were [subjective] elements I would've had to actively overlook to enjoy the complete story.

While Masters & Slayers offered a well-written albeit familiar plot, most characters were way too black and white; the "good" guys were SOOO good they felt like characters, not real people.

The multiple mentions of "the Code" and "the Creator" were a little too blunt [for my tastes] - Christian fiction can be written subtlety - and the "lessons" were starting to feel preachy and aimed at the reader rather than Adrian or Marcelle.

Aside from the heavy religious overtones, the contradiction between their medieval-like world and the ability to have cool techs like courier tubes, which require a DNA deposit to open and then play video messages, or the litmus finger, proved too much for me to overlook.

Started and stopped on November 25, 2012. Read through page 170, chapter 10.