leah

Leah's Bookshelf

Likes: Horror, macabre, fairy tales, ghosts, hauntings, serial killers, zombies, werewolves, shapeshifters, vampires, time travel, orphans, clones, thrillers, classics, gothic

I like to read anything that tells a good story, duh ;) Genre doesn't really matter much but I tend to read dark fiction and fantasy the most. I skip chick lit and romance novels with a few exceptions for the extraordinary.

My ratings system:

5 stars - ADORED; plan to read over and over and over.

4 stars - ENJOYED; will likely read once or twice more.

3 stars - LIKED; may or may not read again ... someday.

2 stars - MEH; no plans to read again.

1 stars - I didn't enjoy the story and was lucky to finish.

0 stars - I couldn't or wouldn't finish for reasons that may or may not be listed in the review box.

The Oxford Book of American Short Stories
Edgar Allan Poe, Henry James, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Herman Melville, Mark Twain, Edith Wharton, Ray Bradbury, Charlotte Gilman Perkins, Willa Carter, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Stephen Crane, Washington Irving, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Katherine Anne Porter, Eudora Welty, Nath
Progress: 225/768 pages

Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies #1) by Isaac Marion

Warm Bodies - Isaac Marion

Rating: 4 of 5

I've watched numerous movies that twist the traditional zombie mythology (for instance, FIDO), a few of which even involved love stories (My Boyfriend's Back and Boy Eats Girl are fun examples). But, if memory serves, this was my first experience with the literary equivalent.

Warm Bodies was way better than I expected, yay! The underlying question of what makes one a member of the Living versus the Dead was prevalent; I never get bored exploring potential answers to that question. Free will was another thought-provoking theme.

The narrative was present tense - not the distracting, amateurish kind, either; the does-its-job right variety - and the narrator, a flesh-eating zombie called R, jumped off the page, grabbed my empathy by the throat and sunk his teeth deep. In other words, I liked R almost immediately. A huge element of the likability factor: R's existential crisis never felt whiny or angsty (thank you, baby jesus!)

Having read the cover blurb and seen the movie trailer, I'll admit to having been a little scared that Warm Bodies might do to zombies what that certain time-of-day book did to vampires. I'm happy to report there were no vegetarian, emotionally-abusive, sparkly zombies. There was nothing cool about being one of the Dead, and through R's eyes we understood why.

The story's quirks actually made it better. The anatomical illustrations as the chapter headings. The overabundance of ellipses. Frank Sinatra. The side effects of eating brains. All added to the book's heart-warming nature and overall individuality.

So why didn't I give it the full 5 stars?

Several reasons, but mainly because it started to feel rushed and a little too sentimental the last 30 pages, especially pages 233-239. Other than those minor flaws, Warm Bodies was a fun, post-apocalyptic, love story mixed with some coming-of-age. And like most love (coming-of-age) stories the two "people" have to overcome obstacles to "live" happily ever after.