leah

Leah's Bookshelf

Likes: Horror, macabre, fairy tales, ghosts, hauntings, serial killers, zombies, werewolves, shapeshifters, vampires, time travel, orphans, clones, thrillers, classics, gothic

I like to read anything that tells a good story, duh ;) Genre doesn't really matter much but I tend to read dark fiction and fantasy the most. I skip chick lit and romance novels with a few exceptions for the extraordinary.

My ratings system:

5 stars - ADORED; plan to read over and over and over.

4 stars - ENJOYED; will likely read once or twice more.

3 stars - LIKED; may or may not read again ... someday.

2 stars - MEH; no plans to read again.

1 stars - I didn't enjoy the story and was lucky to finish.

0 stars - I couldn't or wouldn't finish for reasons that may or may not be listed in the review box.

The Oxford Book of American Short Stories
Edgar Allan Poe, Henry James, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Herman Melville, Mark Twain, Edith Wharton, Ray Bradbury, Charlotte Gilman Perkins, Willa Carter, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Stephen Crane, Washington Irving, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Katherine Anne Porter, Eudora Welty, Nath
Progress: 225/768 pages

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

The Snow Child - Eowyn Ivey

Rating: 4.5 of 5

Dang near perfect. When I read a fairy tale (or its retelling) the element I look forward to most is that tricky blend of fantasy and reality: where I forget the world around me and believe 100% the story in which I've been transported. Ivey nailed it. The world within The Snow Child was brutal and cold but heart-warming and hopeful - all at the same time. Mabel and Jack were flawed and likable almost immediately. And, despite them being much older than I am currently, I could completely relate to them. There was laughter; there was crying. There were moments I was on the edge of my seat.

Basically, the story enchanted me, just like it was meant to.

My only complaint about the book, and why I didn't give the full five stars, was the rampant animal carnage. I understand that's part and parcel for survival in the Alaskan wilderness, living on a farm, etc. I'm just a big wussy when it comes to animals dying, and their deaths in The Snow Child were graphic.

This one deserves its high rating which, as of February 10, 2013, is an average of 3.97 stars from 17,130 ratings. I look forward to more from Eowyn Ivey!